PACT Mum Miriam shared her Special Sauce recipe with us at the Family Food Club this week, and it was a hit!
Miriam's Special Sauce
What makes this sauce so special is its adaptability and simplicity, she says that its really helped her to reduce the stress of cooking during lockdown. Miriam makes a large batch of it and has some in the fridge and freezer ready as a quick solution to any meal – she uses it for pasta sauce, jollof rice and stews, during our zoom session it was even transformed into a lasagne! You can add chicken, fish and any vegetables you like!
Tomatoes (tinned or fresh)
2 Sweet peppers (any colour preferably red)
4 Garlic cloves
4 Tablespoons tomato puree (or ketchup)
Scotch bonnet chilli (to taste)
Selection of herbs and spices to taste: parsley, cumin, mixed spice, black pepper, nutmeg, coriander
1. Roughly chop all of the ingredients (Miriam doesn’t peal ginger she just washes it well)
2. Place all of the ingredients except for the oil into the blender and blend (add a little water if necessary)
3. Heat oil in a pan then add the blended ingredients bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on for approximately 20 minutes until it is thick and all the water has evaporated serve with pasta or anything you choose to add it too!
Deshni made it into a lasagne!
Transformed into Jollof Rice
Miriam’s Pineapple Juice
Miriam is a huge ginger fan and this tasty drink has a real kick to it!
1 Pineapple, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Lemons, chopped
2 Limes, chopped
1. Prepare all of the ingredients, make sure there are no seeds in the lemon and lime (you do not need to peel them)
2. Place ingredients in a blender with some water and blend (add ice if you like)
3. Strain the ingredients and add water and its ready!